Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Variation(s) on a theme (or two)

It's winter... not really beach-going weather (not that I saw anything vaguely beach-like during the Summer...). However, I made a Beach Bag last week....
In mock-croc pvc from Rathdowne Remnants with antique brass o-rings in the straps. Perfect for winter. My last-minute decision to add a twist-lock was a small stroke of bag-making genius. It MAKES the bag!
Large antique brass purse feet protect the bottom....
And world map (I believe from a Wizard of Oz range of fabrics) lining gives the bag that go-anywhere-seasoned-world-traveller kind of feel.... The Tulip Dress pattern got a wintery makeover, as well. I used a kind of stretch terry-towelling/fleece hybrid (?!) fabric (a remnant from Rathdowne Remnants), and cut the bodice with both centre-front and centre-back on the fold.
I extended the sleeve length and topstitched the neck facing down. I overlocked the top edge of the skirt, pleated it and topstitched it to the outside of the bodice.... sort of deconstructionist style... The wee girl loves that it's comfy-wumfy and withstands all manner of hopping and jumping and general 5-year-old backyard activity.
And it was made in the obligitory 2-sizes-too-big... just the way she likes it!
*****
EDITED TO ADD: I used my industrial machine for the bag and then decided to try the Bernina 440 with a walking foot for the straps. It sewed through those layers of PVC as if they were butter. I could have sewn the whole bag with the Bernina.

The lining fabric was bought from the Theme From Jak garage sale.
***
Stay tuned, folks! There are more variations on other themes in the works as we speak.

20 comments:

amy @ ladybugs and daisychains said...

Love the bag here

A Peppermint Penguin said...

You are just too good. I surrender.

Lara said...

The dress looks great and I LOVE THAT BAG! I clearly need to make a visit to Rathdowne and find some mock-something. You've got my tiny brain a-ticking.

Unknown said...

AWESOME bag :D I have some leather sitting around that I still haven't had the guts to use. One day, one day...

Adele - A Lass from Downunder said...

This bag really does look awesome 'in the flesh' and I love the colour of the wee girl's dress too!

Mom (Míriam) said...

What a lining! It deserved to be a bag from itself...
Great job!

Carolyn said...

The dress looks great! I love the colour of the wee girl's dress.

Homeowner Insurance

Fiona said...

What a great bag - love that lining fabric!!

Bell said...

I don't know where you find the time to come up with all these wonderful ideas AND to make them as well.
Love the bag - it looks awesome in mock croc and the lining fabric & twist lock match the bag brilliantly. Did you sew it on your industrial machine or ur fancy shmancy machine?

Jennie said...

That bag is simply amazing. I can't stop looking at it. Domestic or industrial sewing machine?

I'm going to have to track down several metres of that map fabric...

trudi@maudeandme said...

Would love some of that world map fabric too!

Andi said...

Stunning bag.
Gorgeous dress.
Sweet model!!
All good!!!

Samantha said...

That bag is awesome. I totally love it.

Gay McDonell said...

That's one swanky bag Miss Nik!

bec said...

Awesome bag- Cam and I noticed it yesterday, and thought it had come from the archives! Just gorgeous! As is the wee model, and the dress! My size please!

Fer said...

That's a real specky bag! I really admire your skill. And the dress? Perfect!

Cass said...

Love, love, love that bag

Bonniedoo said...

I adore the bag!!!!!!!!!!!!! The lining is wonderful......I need to get me some!!!!

Tanya said...

great bag Nikki, who would have thought faux croc could look so good! The snap is perfect. When I bought my machine, I kept telling shop keepers, I don't care about the fancy stitches, I want a nachine with guts, good strong motor. I settled on my Bernina after I saw someone (then I copied them) sew through 8 layers of denim. I love it.

Wendy Orr said...

Gorgeous, Nikki - And why am I not surprised? So thrilled to see your success.