I've blogged this recipe before, but it's particularly seasonal, so I think it's worth running again (this time with my own Instagram pic). It's the Irish cure-all, and right now I godda gold.....
Hot Irish Whiskey (or "a wee hot one" as they say in some parts of the aul' sod)
You need IRISH whiskey - Scotch doesn't work with these flavours.
1. Pour a goodly amount of the whiskey into a sturdy glass.
2. Add a large teaspoon of BROWN sugar (has to be brown sugar... doesn't taste right otherwise).
3. Cut a slice of lemon, stud it with at least half a dozen whole cloves and put that in the glass as well.
4. Top up the glass with boiling water. Stir and let it steep for as long as it takes to be a drinkable temperature.
5. Drink several of these.... and you will feel NO PAIN and sleep like a baby. (Do it too often and you'll probably feel some liver pain, but your cold will be a distant memory!).
Oh - and this works equally well with Port, only you don't need the sugar.
For me tonight, it's a wee hot one and some knitting, and bed a-calling.