Thursday, June 16, 2011

New bags for the Sydney Quilt & Craft Show

I took a few quick snaps between finishing touches and packing them off to Sydney..... I'm enjoying making up my old patterns. As much as I love the design process and experimenting with new ideas, there's something nice about being able to whip something up, knowing that the pattern is just going to work.... and it's simply a matter on invisaging the fabric and styling and making it happen.

This Large Tote/Satchel and the (...ahem...rather badly styled for the photo) 150mm purse frame purse were made using a scrap of semi-felted knitting I picked out of the "free" basket at the Fibre Red Garage sale a few months ago. I'm not sure how the little circles were made in the knitting (tie dye? bleach?) but I really like them. (I just wish I'd stuffed something in the purse, or fluffed it into shape before I'd photographed it....)

The black poly-viscose faille on the tote was from Auntie Wilma's stash. (Who says you have to spend lots of money on fabric....?)
I've also been having some fun with some new Saffron Craig fabrics. (Ok, sometimes you have to buy special stuff!)
I made the Laptop Bag using a few 50cm lengths of fabrics from the Magical Lands range and some sort of hard-wearing polyester fabric (origin unknown) from the stash. In fact, the cut, fused and half-sewn Laptop Bag pieces were in the stash... the bag was started 3 years ago with a completely different fabric range in mind for the feature panels. For one reason or another, I never got around to finishing the bag until this week, and by complete chance, this range worked beautifully with the colour of the pre-cut pieces.
A little bit of the "Imaginary Flowers" range made it into the lining, for the expandable pleated pocket. Today I finished a Carry-All in more fabrics from Imaginary Flowers... photos to follow.


I still haven't finished the leather and wool bag (spanner in the works - despite having a zipper stash that has to be seen to be believed, I had to BUY a suitable zipper)....

Stay tuned! More to follow!

9 comments:

A Peppermint Penguin said...

I want to believe. Show us yer zips :D

Then I can possibly feel better about my zip stash.

Cheers,
AJ

Tania said...

YOU DID NOT HAVE TO GO OUT AND BUY A ZIP.

Having seen a mere portion of your zip stash, I shall believe you just as soon as hell freezes over.

Jennie said...

I'm in shock of the purchase of a zipper as well. I always feel insulted (by my stash) when I have to go out and BUY one.

Penny said...

I think I will have to stop reading your blog! I get too inspired.
I love your lap top bag. Might pop in and see your stall at the fair...
Penny.

Annie said...

totally stunning - good luck in Sydney

Katherine said...

Wow. Great designs and too-cool combinations on those bags, Nikki.

I'm with AJ... show us your zip collection. I can't believe you have more than I've managed to collect. ;o)

Tanya said...

Hmmm, and are you going to chain them down. All looks great, have a great show. Good luck

angelosam123 said...

Very important blog of bag in Sydney that useful for us...
Web Design Sydney

Fer said...

Well..... I guess you can never have too many zips? (that's usually a philosophy I save for fabric!)

How do you get the binding so perfect on your bags? Is there a 'how to' in the laptop bag instructions? Mine always puckers, grrrr.....