Thursday, September 16, 2010

You may have noticed....

I'm a bit of a fan of a bit of a yo-yo embellishment, especially since I discovered the Clover Yo Yo Maker. Before that, I was calling them Suffolk Puffs and making them with bits of cardboard and lots of fussy edge-turning. Some of them were a bit wonky.

I discovered that with these little gadgets, I could make perfectly uniform, evenly gathered yo-yo's - without having to think about it - and I could stitch them onto everything.

And stitch them, I do.

I also combine them with buttons and hair ties....

...and hairclips.
I particularly like doing lots of arty-farty free-machine embroidery all over the top of them - this time to tart up a simple A-line dress. ( It kind of takes the lolly-sweet out of them and makes them a bit funky, don't you think?)

Until recently, I only stocked the small and the large sizes (but I secretly owned all the other sizes). I've now added the EXTRA large size (which makes 60mm yo-yo's) to the shop.


I promised someone a visual tutorial (yes Chrys - that'd be YOU!) - AND I MADE A VIDEO - but I'm going to have to edit or re-shoot it. I think it could be made better. Stay tuned, folks!

12 comments:

trash said...

Nah! We want the unexpurgated shoot.

Gay McDonell said...

Love those dandy ones on the denim skirt!

Tania said...

You're spot on about funkifying the lolly-sweet. And your small must have an ENVIABLE supply of hair tie whatsits...

Fer said...

Yo-yo's have always been something I've meant to get around to, and you may have tempted me! I really really like the funked up free-motion versions too. :)

seabreezequilts said...

You know I have an aversion to yo yo's can't stand them on quilts but on everything else it seems to be ok. My aversion didn't extend to me not getting a few of these gadgets might add because it is after all a gadget and I just gotta have one ... in nearly every size don't think I have the super large one....

Chrys said...

Thanks Nikki...will be waiting with baited breath for it! I will try do a few more over the weekend and see how I go....once I realised I hadn't lined them up properly, it wasn't so bad.

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

Oh i have resisted the plastic maker for so long, tempting!! I love them so much, but when i sew them to a cushion etc, i fasten the inner circle first to secure them down, would it translate with the gadget?? Hmmmm . . . they are the prettiest thing ever. Love Posie

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

Yo-yo making with the clover tool is just so addictive isn't it! I love that stitching you did over the top and around the A-line dress! I'll have to borrow that trick me thinks!

Jennie said...

The yoyos with free motion embroidery look very spunky!

Fiona said...

Must get myself a yo-yo maker - another item for the shopping list!

our shabby cottage said...

Hi Nikki, I love them too and use them on my Matryohska dolls. I free stitch mine though. I do have the gadget to make them though...I wonder why I don't use it. Maybe because I can't find it.....

quilary said...

I love my yo-yo maker and I definitely need to get the other two sizes too. I LOVE the neat little pleats you get from them.