Friday, November 21, 2008

It ain't rocket science....

It's called "embellishment". Easy as pie.

Use a Clover Yo-Yo Maker or two to make flowers. A vintage button or two works a treat.
Or you can keep it simple with a single yo-yo and a NEW button!
You can do a spot of doodle-stitching. As you can see here, a bit of a "naiive" look (read:hasty, bad technique) adds to the charm of a kiddie hat.....
If you can't draw or embroider freehand, there are LOADS of really cute embroidery patterns out there.

Failing that, a few well-placed cross-stitches or running stitch in a co-ordinating thread can really work wonders on a hat, bag or garment. Super-quick, low-skill and EFFECTIVE. I LOVE it.

On a girly little hat a bit of leftover bias binding can be made into a simple bow with a button.


I often hear the comment "That's so simple, but I'd never have thought to do it". Now you don't have to think to... because I just told you how!
GO FORTH AND EMBELLISH!!! It's heaps of fun. ...And if you're really stuck, come along to one of my Embellishment workshops next year. (The 2009 schedule isn't finalised yet, but you can join the mailing list and we'll keep you posted!).


Don't forget to leave a comment if you want to win a kid's hat pattern. Lara and a few others are testing the patterns as we speak, and we should be drawing a winner early next week.


Oh... and ALSO don't forget we'll be LAUNCHING the hat patterns and having a fun open day/sale/pre-xmas knees-up on the 30th November. DO COME!

11 comments:

Liesl said...

Wonderful embellishments - I love these ideas! The workshop sounds very exciting, too. (Just checking for my target group though: do you cover how to embellish using diggers and tractors ... and possibly steam engines?)

méri said...

:))
Simple and easy is also my motto (?)

trash said...

If you could just put the christmas meet-up back a few weeks i can be there!

Daffodil Daze said...

You call it "naive" I call it 'rustic' - it covers a multitude of sins and experiments gone awry.
Thanks for making my 'rustic' all OK!

Aussie Jo said...

Sharon B (pin tangle) has a good link to vintage embroidery motifs on her blog. They would be good on some hats, or bags.

fi said...

that bias binding floral bow hat just made me snort my tea! I LOVE it, i WANT one with 2 matching ones for the girls...ahhh! i will be there on the 30th!

Anonymous said...

oooh I love embellishments detail, details,would love to come to your class. but I think a twenty-three hour flight would be a stretch!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your great ideas!

Kathy said...

Thanks for sharing your ideas again! Simple but brilliant! I just love the bow with button and little cross stitches - I'm inspired to go and embellish a hat, now...

Gillian R said...

Dang Nikki! Now you've gone and inspired me to do that on my hats!! I've been playing with the idea but haven't gotten to it yet. Now I think I'll try it tonight!

Bronwyn said...

I love a bit of 'em-bellish'! I going to try my hardest to come to your pattern party - sounds ace!