Friday, January 13, 2012

Sewjeen

In the Irish language, the suffix 'in' ("een" in English) means "little", and is often used at the end of a name, with affectionate connotations.  You may have noticed that I sometimes call the wee girl "the girleen".

Today, Lara and I had a little Sewjourn, for our little girls.  It was a Sewjeen.
The bigger girls used their own machines and 4-year-old Stella used my old Singer - unplugged and acoustic style (hand-turning the wheel).  Lara and I caught up on a few works-in-progress and a bit of a chat while the girls sewed all manner of creations.  I finished my big quilt (photos forthcoming).
 I also quilted the "Modern Quilt Blocks" quilt (known here as "the panda quilt") and hope to have the binding on by tomorrow afternoon. 

And another quilt has been started....
 Carefully made by my own girleen, these 'blocks' have been arranged on the studio floor.   I'm loving them, and hoping she sticks with the project long enough to make something from them.
And I'm hoping that this year, when I escape to Sewjourn, I don't have a stowaway in my luggage.

18 comments:

Unknown said...

Fantastic! I bet the girls had a ball. Make sure your girl finishes her quilt, because I want to see it. It looks great so far. Lots of new and exciting blocks there :) Don't you love how creative kids can be when they don't know all the "rules" or constraints?

Sally said...

That is so adorable. What a wonderful day and fantastic blocks.

Karen said...

This is fantastic!!
Love the quilt blocks Nikki - looks like the young lady will be making her own cat quilt soon!

rachelmp said...

They must have had a fantastic time. Has the wee girl had a big haircut?

A Peppermint Penguin said...

SewJourn:TNG

willywagtail said...

Such clever little ones. Your nurturing and joy is wondeful to watch. Cherrie

Lotti said...

What a fantastic idea .... instill a love of artistic things into these girls while they are young, so many young girls today don't want to sew, they'd rather go out and buy things .... this is gorgeous seeing these young girls sewing.

Tania said...

Wow. I just read the post below and I guess that answers my emailed hairdo query!

Way to go, kid! (are you ok, Mum?)

Couldn't let elbow-length hair get in the way of all that making now...

Fiona said...

Fantastic!! Does the girleen have her own fabric and yarn stashes too ... or does she just appropriate what she needs from yours?!!

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

Fabulous! Just fabulous!

BeaJay said...

How gorgeous is this Sewjeen! What wonderful memories you are creating for your girleen. And what fantastic skills she is developing.

Vic said...

ADORABLE! What clever 'eens!

Claire - Matching Pegs said...

The blocks look great!

My two girls would have enjoyed such a gathering, (my boy's preferred medium is lego).
They have both done a little sewing this holidays. Often the limiting factor is that there is only one of me.

Michaela had a similar feeling at the end of the year - a few days after Christmas she had lots of hair all cut off, and is also sporting a chin length bob. Perhaps it is something about becoming a grade 1?

Fer said...

Aww, bless 'em!

Ms T said...

I love seeing little girls sewing. I still remember sitting on Santas lap and asking him to please bring me my very own sewing machine. I haven't stopped sewing since.

Katy Cameron said...

Aww, what a cute idea!

Crafty Mama said...

What clever girls, I love this idea :)

Elyk said...

Well done! Wonderful idea and great realization!