I machine-knitted some cream coloured wool, dyed it BRIGHT green (yikes!).. then dulled it down with red to make a lovely lichen-mossy-tweedy colour.... then hand-knitted (and frogged and re-knitted) a cap sleeve top and a little gumnut-baby hat.
A handwash and blocking produced a lovely tweedy set for a 1-year-old gumnut kid. But I thought how little time a busy mother has to handwash knits, so I did a test-run through a wool cycle in the washing machine. Baby Alive modelled the hat (because there were no balloons in the house) as it dried. Hmmmmm..... a soft minty green...
....which, when it dried, had a layer of rusty-red on the surface. Eeeuw! (I was so horrified, I didn't take photos of this stage of development).
With nothing to lose, I tried it through a normal wash in the machine, thinking it might felt a bit.So Baby Alive has a nice new ice-mint coloured, felted tunic and gumnut-hat.... and I have a better idea of a few yarny processes (which was the plan!). And that one-year-old will have to wait a bit longer for a new outfit!