An opportunity to write a guest post for Whip Up led me to spending WAY too much time on this little tutorial.... and then it was too long for Whip Up. Waste-not-want-not Nikki is recycling it here.....
1. Fold a 15cm x 12.5cm piece of card in half and centre a cd over the fold line, matching the edge of the cd with the top of the card.
1. Use the pattern to cut 2 in main fabric.
Use an 18mm bias tape maker to fold and press the outside edges of the straps to the centre. Fold each strap in half again, matching the two folded edges together and enclosing all the raw edges in the centre. (See DETACHABLE STRAP tutorial for details on how to make the strap with a bias tape maker).
3. Mark the strap placement on the main bag pieces - evenly spaced from the centre and beginning about 6cm from the bottom edge.
6. Topstitch along the folded edge to attach the contrast to the main piece.
7. Place the two main bag pieces right sides together and stitch across the straight edge at the bottom with a 1cm seam allowance, leaving a gap of 3-4cm (about 1 ½ inches) in the centre of the seam.
10. Pinch the corners at the base of the bag to align the side and base seams. Stitch a “boxed corner” seam 1-1.5cm (about half an inch) from the corner point.
13. Cut a little rectangle of template plastic or cardboard to fit into the base of the bag. Slot it inside the base seam, tucking the short ends into the boxed corners..