Wednesday, August 11, 2010

How to not make an i-Phone pouch.... while learning a few interesting things on the way.

Our 90mm flex frames are really popular, and we started stocking them around the time that iPhones started to become popular.

The frames were a bit too tight to make an iPhone pouch. So we ordered BIGGER frames, and they've finally arrived.

Meet the new 115mm Flex Frames... (5-pack listing will happen soon. Slow connection tonight is making it too painful to contemplate right now).

This morning, I set about designing the much-requested iPhone pouch....
(I don't actually own an iPhone, so this involved roaming the building - with my tape measure - looking for unsuspecting iPhone owners).

I was distracted for some time by the desire to transfer a picture of a robot (that my assistant drew last year) to textile art....

There was much scanning and image-tweaking, followed by freezer paper cutting and inkjet printing....

..followed by the realisation that I'd printed on the SHINY side instead of the matt side of the freezer paper.... which led me back to basics. (Using a 2B pencil and a window, I traced the robot to the matt side of the freezer paper).


...and used it to cut out teeny-tiny pieces of felt.


I learned an important lesson about the rumour I'd heard about using glue sticks to hold applique in place. I'm going to stick to basting spray from now on.
The fancy-schmantzy sewing machine was set to work where my interest in teeny-tiny-hand-applique failed.
The pouch was constructed in the same way as my tutorial for the 90mm pouches. Only by this stage, I've learned that my beaky-nosed pliers are the right tool for closing over the ends of the hinge.

The search for iPhone owners was resumed in earnest for the final fitting....


But it was a little.... ummmm.... roomy.


Cute. But too big (and a little glue-stick stained).


Another re-draft, a bit of inkjet fabric action.....another search for an iPhone in the building....


And it's still too big.
But I learned a very interesting thing..... iPhone 3's don't fit in a 90mm frame....but iPhone 4's do!

So.... the 115mm frames would be great for cameras and other electronic gizmos (guitar tuners, light meters...) or for a little notebook and pen. Not an iPhone.
Tomorrow I'll be looking out for Blackberry owners....

10 comments:

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

Cool tutorial. I'm acutally HUGE fan of iron on adhesive for anything & everything applique!! I just love how it holds & you can still sew over it sharp to the edge. Lovely neat work as always, i don't have a fancy phone either & after just losing/ someone helping themselves to my semi fancy mobile phone in Italy, i'm back to a very basic Nokia. Happy sewing, love Posie

Bellgirl said...

Ah yes, I learnt that thing about iphone3 last Christmas ;)

Love the robot and dog!

A Peppermint Penguin said...

I spent a huuuge amount of time making a cosy for the iPhone charger. I don't hve one, neither does my friend, but her partner does. Since it was meant to be a surprise she went into his rucksack, found cable/pluggy bits with apple writ on them and measured them for me.

V1.0 fail v1.1 success... except that wasn't the cables for his iPhone at all and it is waaay too big.

That's what surprises get you!

The robot is awfully cute and didn't you learn a lot today :D

Cheers,
AJ

Fer said...

I don't have an iPhone either but I do have an iPod Touch which is a similar size. The bigger pouch means that I could also carry my earplugs. I like that. :-)

And the appliqué is just too damn cute!

Sherry from Alabama said...

It's so cute, whether it fits or not! I made myself a new IPOD cover and a tiny camera case lately. Just looking at them, no one would ever dream of the work, and thought, that went into them. You have a beautiful blog. I've enjoyed visiting this morning.

Sherry @ A Happy Valentine

Jenny from Ohjoh said...

That robot image is too cute not to use regardless.
And don't they always say that size doesn't matter ....

Danielle McDonald said...

The way you transform the sketches is truly inspiring. Great colours.

CurlyPops said...

Looking forward to having a play with the larger size. I've had a few people interested in pouches for cameras, but they wouldn't fit through the 90mm frame. The larger size will be great for super chunky sunnies too.

Christie said...

looks so cute Nikki!

I love glue sticks to keep fabric in place, but watch out for the blue ones!

AS said...

I feel your pain! I recently had a similar experience when trying to make a lovely snug, zipped iPad pouch. I trimmed a little at several different points along the way, until I had what would have been a snug-fitting pouch... except that I forgot that the zip wasn't going to undo all the way to the very edges/corners of the pouch, so there was no way my iPad was going to fit! MKII was completed today - a little more room to breathe (but not too much) and she fits! I don't plan to make too many more though!!

Good luck with your next remodel!