Thursday, April 9, 2009

My new convertible!

I've been thinking about this one for a long time. Probably since the time I made these clutch purses...

Yesterday I saw my chance and I grabbed it. The studio computer was at the computer doctor (very timely, on my one child-free day in a week when I have half a ton of patternmaking and instructions to do... couldn't work on anything at all). So all I could do was SEW.... what a shame, huh?

This is my Baguette pattern - made as a clutch.
The main fabric is from the Al Fresco range by Marcus Fabrics, and I think the other is a Baum Wyndham "Rhapsody" print (but don't quote me on that!).

So.... where's that convertible I was talking about...?

It becomes a handbag with a clip-on chain! I used small swivel hooks and silver nickel purse chain. Easy-peasy.

But that is not all... Oh no, that is not all I can do, said the cat! (Ok, I read too many Dr Suess books!).

It can also be a wristlet with a clip-on strap.

How...? I'm going to write a tutorial for this and a few other tricks I photographed while making this bag.

Stay tuned.... (I also have to write some instructions and do a spot of patternmaking...).

9 comments:

CurlyPops said...

I love a multifunctional bag! Fabulouso idea.

Karin said...

Brilliant!

handmaiden said...

love that fabric colour and that chain looks great...have a fab easter break

Cristin said...

Adorable! Great colors - and design!

Margaret said...

Ohhh my Myers-Briggs indicates that I like to change my mind, so this bag would suit me to a 'T'. I love it!

elizabeth said...

What a neat way to add versatility!
I'm totally digging those fabrics, too!

Gillian R said...

It was most likely intentional Nikki but your placement of the green petaled flower on the left there looks great! I thought it was a flower brooch at first! Love the versatility of this bag. Good work.

our shabby cottage said...

I love it Nikki. I love the fact that you have added bits to it to make it 3 bags/purses in one!

Katherine said...

Just beautiful! You are just so clever and talented.
mmmm... those fabrics are so yummy together....