Wednesday, September 10, 2008

On My Desk.... Wednesday

This is a very well-traveled and much-loved pincushion (that I use as a NEEDLE cushion). Originally handmade and bought in Lithuania (where - quite coincidentally - we had an order from today) and gifted to me by my friend Orla when I lived in Ireland. She and her husband Seamus are very dear to me, and this pincushion reminds me of them every time I use it.

Still making hats.... The one on my desk here is a winter version in heavy cotton moleskin fabric. I've put a straight grain binding on it to pull the brim up into a sharp curve. (Did you know you can run straight grain strips through the bias tape maker just the same as bias tape? Wish I'd known that one about fifteen years ago...makes binding hats a LOT easier!!!).

My Clover Seam Ripper is never too far away. I actually have THREE.... strategically placed around the studio so I never have to get up from a work position (Oops, my secret is out. I'm not JUST a sewing geek - I'm a LAZY sewing geek...!!).

This book has been doing the rounds between Leah's and my desks. It's a good 'un. Full of handy tips (with a title like that, who'd have guessed it?). It's like the book version of this list - with diagrams. NOTE: I bought my copy secondhand on Amazon, but everytime I try to open up the page there to get the link for you, my computer crashes....!!?.

And Oh, Happy Day... Blue, blue sky and TWO parcels from Z&S Fabrics... what more could a winter-weary sewing chick want? Cheered me up, no end. I'm in love with the Flutterby range by Tula Pink for Moda. Really unique prints in great colours.

More desks at over at Kirsty's....

7 comments:

Cindy said...

You are not a lazy sewing geek until you have a pocket protector for your seam riper, just practical. Love that fabric selection.

Jenny said...

Love the hat and the fabric is just gorgeous. That needle cushion is a well used friend by the looks!Must get me one of those seam rippers-my is just not up to scratch for the use it gets!

Kirrily said...

I need two seam rippers cause I alllllways have to go looking at mine. It's never at the desk I'm using at the time.

And you're doing it again - teasing with those pretty fabrics! I'm gonna have to stop coming here!

Michelle said...

beautiful material.love it.i really need to get out more and stock up.

Kristy said...

love that pin cushion
and such history!!!!
lol love ur blog

Kirsty said...

I love your pincushion too.

Anonymous said...

I bought one of these the other day (on Leah's recommendation) and I LOVE it. Having a few of them strategically placed makes you a sensible sewing geek. I have a similar pincushion habit.