Sunday, June 4, 2017

Gathering Steam

It's been four years since I put out a new YOU SEW GIRL pattern or wrote more than the odd blog post, and I feel like I've woken from a forty year sleep. It's a whole new landscape, but I'm venturing back out into it.

Nicole MallalieuLately, I've been sewing and making patterns again, and thinking about how best to write instructions. 

I've been wearing lots of wearable toiles (muslins) and trying to remember how to ponce in front of the camera to record and share what I'm working on. Camera-shyness seems to have crept in during the last few years and I'm trying to desensitise by taking and sharing photos of myself. (Although by the looks of it, I still feel most comfortable looking away from the camera or chopping off my head.) 


Nicole Mallalieu

For the last few weeks I've been posting to my new You Sew Girl Instagram account. It's in its baby stage, but if you're interested in following the sewing journey, please follow me here.

Nicole Mallalieu

I've been working away at lots of other things (and teaching a lot) over these last few years, but the drive, inspiration and ... well... time... to put into new You Sew Girl patterns has simply not been there. When I wrote this blog post, I had no idea how long it would take to gather strength and find enough balance in life to get back to the business I worked so hard - for so long - to build. 


It's nice to feel that energy returning and gathering strength.
Nicole Mallalieu

I've been experimenting with a few new garment basics (and some fun sculptural clothing shapes just for the fun of it).

Nicole Mallalieu

I've also scheduled new classes (including some at the new Queen of Fabric in Brighton). There's a Purse Frame Class there next weekend, if you fancy a fun day, with other workshops to follow over the rest of the year.


There's still dressmaking workshops at Cutting Cloth on the 3rd Sunday of every month. And The Better Bag Club at GJ's  is a work-at-your-own-pace monthly You Sew Girl sew-fest, with me there to answer all your questions and show you lots of tricks.

The Better Bag Club Sewing Classes

And in November, there will be this

The Savvy Seamstress by Nicole Mallalieu

So I guess you can say that steam is indeed gathering. 

I'm older, wiser (..ahem.. and greyer..) and I'm looking up now.


Nicole Mallalieu

10 comments:

A Peppermint Penguin said...

you forgot 'and awesome', cos you are.

méri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
méri said...

Just love your new look !You are great, lovely.
All my life I love a fresh and beautiful face with white or grey hair. Really.
I've never colored my hair waiting for my white hair. Almost with 70 (!!!) my hair has a lot of white hairs spread with too many brown ones...
Take care and be happy with your lovely girl.
xx Meri

Handmade By Design said...

Vive Le Grey! You look fabulous Nikki and I am so glad you are finding the time and mojo to work on YSG patterns again. Can't wait to see and read the new book! Congratulations, I KNOW it will AbFab xx

Jane said...

That's great news! I just made your beret pattern on the weekend (for a Raspberry Beret costume) and liked the result so much I think I need a 'serious' one now! I was thinking how much I loved your patterns and how I wished you'd release more clothing patterns and... ta-daaaa!

Dianne said...

Looking fab Nikki! I was given some book vouchers for my birthday last month- think I will be keeping them until November!!!!

MyLittleBlueDog said...

Great to see you back in blog world, if I ever get to Melbourne I will be sure to coordinate a time when I can join one of your classes. Best of luck to you.

Helen said...

How lovely to see you again. Looking fab by the way. Am excited for new patterns.

Summer Flies said...

I want to say how fabulous you look. I love your hair. Hope your book comes along.

Summer Flies said...

I love your hair. You look sensational. I hope the book comes along well.