Sunday, October 9, 2011

Don't you love a group of crafty gals...

..who don't think it's weird when you invite them over for lunch and a spot of scissor-sharpening? Instead of leaving my scissors to be sharpened somewhere, I like to have the scissor sharpening guy (Steve) come to me and sharpen while I wait.

Since I moved away from all the fashion businesses in my previous building, I had to think of a way to make it worth Steve's time to visit.
Umm... do I know anyone else who might need scissors sharpened...?
Oh boy, do I! We had a great catch-up over cuppas and lunch. Steve the scissor guy was mighty happy (...with everything except the dodgey cup of tea I poured for him. Sorry Steve - I think the pot had been sitting there a while....).
And the entire building was completely utilised for the event.
We had babies and blocks on the balcony....
The electronic games arcade on the stairs for the bigger kids....
The small children were sent to the dungeon (the garage, resembling crafty-kid Heaven).


The intricate and careful design work in the hama bead creations spoke volumes about the world these kids live in.


As did the resemblance of this beauty, to a granny square!! (Guess whose kid...?)

Big thanks to all who came along. These lovely ladies and their great kids -































Judy




EDITED TO ADD: Distracted by the call (from a small girl) to teach a small girl how to crochet this morning, I forgot to add the grand finale to the scissor-sharpening lunch. The seedling queen (my sister) made sure anyone with space in their garden took home some of her surplus seedlings. She gets a bit excited about planting seeds, but is lacking the 40,000 acres to raise them to adult plant stage. Several of us spent some happy planting time this weekend, and look forward to heritage variety vegetables and flowers - thanks, Leonie!!

21 comments:

Vic said...

Looks like such a great time Nikki - If I weren't so scared (or, erm, terrified, actually!) of driving in Melbourne I would have been there in a heartbeat! (Okay... in 2 hours or so...)

Cathie said...

absolutely wonderful Nikki! great get together & very much needed.

thanks for arranging & being such a great hostess & a big thanks to your wonderful sis, plants are in the garden & enjoying the rain.

big hugs to you ♥

Cass said...

Wow sounds like a great day

thornberry said...

It was just wonderful - we all had a brilliant time and you really are the host with the most. Thanks so much Nikki for having us all around. You are a winner.
ps - my big girl LOVED seeing her square on the blog - and she did design it to look like a granny!

Tania said...

Just for the record, I knew whose kid, but I clicked to verify anyway.

I missed a treat! But you wouldn't have wanted me there - we were all a bit camping stinky by then...

Jennie said...

It really was a lovely concept and event! I hope your family feasted like duchesses on the leftovers.

Jenny from Ohjoh said...

So sad we missed it but it was the right thing to stay away - 11 spots and counting on the 5 year old today. Woo hoo we're all so excited (yep, that's sarcasm).
Hopefully your scissors will get blunt really soon and you'll have to do it all again.
Cut lots of paper!
Cheers
Jenny

Gay McDonell said...

Looks amazing, how cool is Steve? You're very fortunate to have so many buddies close you. How good was Little Miss Thornberry - it knew it!!!

A Peppermint Penguin said...

Ah but does he do rotary blades?!

Only you would think of this - and pull it off with such aplomb!!

Claire - Matching Pegs said...

Thanks for such a lovely afternoon Nikki, we all had a great time.

Thanks too for providing all the links of the guests - my blog roll is going to get longer now.

Perhaps we should do this once every school holidays...

nicole said...

it was such a fun afternoon nikki!
i had a great time meeting everyone and now there are links to their blogs! you're amazing!!
xo

Yarn Wrap said...

My scissors and knives are lovely and sharpe. I met some of my blogging mentors and made some new. But the big bonus was your sister Leonie and her fantastic seedlings on the way out? What a hero.
love Judy

Anonymous said...

Thankyou for such a lovely afternoon. Always nice to put faces to names and blogs I love !
I feel a bit chuffed and lucky to be invited and that I could easily walk home. Dee x

Melanie said...

I'm a little bit scared of my knives right now to be honest... and I haven't even tried out my scissors! *Loved* the afternoon Nikki, and thanks so much for the linkies, I shall go and check out all the blogs I didn't already know :)

CurlyPops said...

Oh wow, now I've even more bummed that I missed it!
Looking at those hama beads... do you see a fabric design?

Unknown said...

Thanks for such a great afternoon with such lovely company. We must do it again!

Who would have thought inviting "internet friends*" and asking them to bring their knives for sharpening would be a good idea?! (*note sinister connotations)

Kylie said...

What a fabulous idea! Looks like you had a great day. Yet another reason why I wish I lived in Melbourne ;) Kx

trash said...

I'm with Tania.

meli B said...

Thanks for organising the afternoon and introducing me to some of your bloggy mates. Couldn't believe how cool you remained with every space in the place filled with people and kids and toys and food. My scissors are sharp, my tummy was full of cupcakes and sushi. A great time was had by all.

Fer said...

Now that's a cool idea! I love how you catered for everyone big and small too. :-)

bec said...

It was awesome Nikki, thank you! Such a great idea- can I pinch a few pics? As usual at bloggy things I forgot to get my camera out!