Thursday, December 16, 2010

Kindle Surprise

Sice there is absolutely NO CHANCE of the man of the house reading this blog, I feel completely secure in showing the gift the wee girl and I have prepared for him. It will be a complete surprise (and I know he's been thinking about getting one).

The cover design is loosely based on my laptop sleeve design, and is made out of a neoprene remnant I picked up (and hoarded) about 8 years ago. (I knew it'd be useful one day!). The artwork is by the wee girl, printed on inkjet fabric and appliqued to the neoprene.

I know it'll make him grin every time he looks at it, which is pretty-much the effect that this Rudolf-the-red-nosed-reindeer has on me....
I can't believe the wee girl sat still long enough (obviously at kindergarten) to draw and colour this in texta (marker pen). It's about 45cm (half a yard) high - that's a lot of colouring (even Rudolf looks surprised!).

12 comments:

Fiona said...

I'm sure he'll appreciate the Kindle ... but the sleeve is priceless. Looks fab.

Tania said...

Don't you just LOVE it when you know you have a surefire winner of a gift? And whenever you think about how it will be when he opens his pressie, you just have to grin and get a wee bit excited.

She's a bloomin' artist, she is.

bec said...

aww, so cute! He'll always have her 5yr old drawing with him (imagine the looks when he opens it in public haha). Great Rudolph!

ambette said...

I'm getting my man one for Christmas as well!

I will be making a case for it, but it certainly won't have the same character as yours! It's awesome!

Fer said...

Aw wow, that's just perfect! You've really hit on a winner this year. :-)

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

Love it when a remnant comes in super handy!! What a simply brilliant idea, he'll love it, personalised & screams "daddy love". Congratulations, great gift.
My husband reads my blog, it's why i blog, so he can keep up to date with us while he's away (on course, on exercise or at war). So no sneaky shots of his gifts. Love Posie

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

It's gorgeous Nikki. Such a lovely combination of you and the wee girl's talents. He's going to love it, along with he kindle.

Was lovely to see you today.

CurlyPops said...

Now that is super! What a very lucky daddy.
PS - Love Rsuprised Rudolph

trash said...

Are Rudolph's arms crossed? That is too cool.

CK is getting on of those for Christmas too. Will try and talk him into letting me make a case for it. This may be an uphill road.

Cathie said...

that is just all kinds of awesomeness there my dear. if he doesn't shed a quiet happy tear then I definitely will.

happy weekend to you lovely Nikki & hope to catch up with you in the new year ♥

Karen said...

That is excellent Nikki - love the duck and glad it worked out as hoped.
Hoarding fabric always pays off in the end - that's what I keep telling myself anyway.

meli B said...

I think your daughter should be making her own fabric line. Every time I look at her drawings I have to laugh. They are so precious.
All the best for the new year.