Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Too many bells and whistles....

...are never enough.

I got myself a great deal on a heap of new trinkets and gadgets for the fancy-schmantzy machine.

So far, I'm loving the new thread stand. I use a lot of large cones of thread on the industrial machines and they're usually a pain when I use them the domestic machines - NOT ANYMORE!!!

I'm also very lazy when it comes to changing thread colours when there's only one spool holder. With the thread stand, there's no need to go to all that bother to take the thread off the machine.... just whack another one on!!! It's easy to cut-and-tie the new thread colour on and pull it through the machine.

And finally..... FINALLY..... I have a big, slicko table attachment. Since I spied Emma's at Sewjourn last year, I've thought I WAN'T ONE OF THOSE (and I didn't even have the machine then!).

It's very shiny and clear and swish-looking. Oh, and it also makes it easier to sew big awkward heavy things (like big awkward bags ....and I suppose quilts, since it's for a quilting machine).

There are also a few new presser feet that I never knew I absolutely needed - and a new invisible zipper foot (which I DID absolutely need). Doubtless, I'll be waxing lyrical about them all at various points over the next however-long.

We're also installing lots of new bells and whistles on the website (so if you hear clanking and banging in the background while you shop, its just us fixing up a few things at the back end). Hopefully the postage calculation and automatic payments thingamy will be sorted before the 22nd Century (maybe even before the next decade). There is a lot of product weighing and data-input yet to go.

Between website tinkering and showing our new gals - Adele and Vireya - the ropes in the office (and.... ummmm... looking intently at the editing work I have to do on the book.....) not much sewing has been done.

The machine justs sits there, seductively dressed in its new accessories. Waiting.

13 comments:

Bellgirl said...

Oooh I can never resist new feet- even more exciting than new shoes! ;)

Tanya said...

can't wait till you share about those feet rather than a fleeting, teasing reference!

Kate said...

I got the swish table attachment when I got my machine last year and I am not sure how I sewed without one. Not sure how I managed without my Bernina.

Fiona said...

You've gotta love gadgets!

I keep hoping my trusty 25-year old, sturdy machine (which is no longer made and so I can't get any attachments or gadgets for it) will break down one day and I have to buy another one with all the gadgets and gizmos available. ... In my dreams!

Anonymous said...

If the machine is getting too lonely it could always come to my house and play with me indefinitely...

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

Oh a clear table extension for the machine, but you'd see all the things i slide under there to pretend the space around my machine is tidy??!! That is so wonderful, i'd have big envy if i saw one too, congratulations on now owning one. Joy, love Posie

Bethany said...

I could easily spend more on gadgets and accessories than I did on my sewing machine, so I love this post! It helps to know there are kindred spirits out there :)

Tania said...

Yeah, but I bet you've knit a few rows?

A Peppermint Penguin said...

I can never buy a new machine - I've invested to much in all the bells and whistles for the one I've got. I don't have *every* foot in the catalogue, just most of them! However, I think my walking foot is rubbish and wish there was a different one.

And my overlocker and it's burnt out motor are *still* in Edinburgh awaiting decisions on just how many arms and legs it's going to cost me. Whence it has been for 6 weeks.

Looking at your shiny new toys is way more fun!

Enjoy,
AJ

Kerry_Kid Giddy said...

What kind of thread do you use most often. I want to get bigger spools, but worry about getting a bad brand! I'm looking forward to getting a ruffle foot! kg

Nikki said...

I'm not fussy about thread brands. I just make sure it's not too cheap or too old.

Fer said...

A bit of retail therapy never hurt anyone, especially when the sewing part has to wait!

emma said...

Hey Nikki, I now have Bernina envy too - i NEED that thread spool thingy. Will be making a call to my sewing machine man asap.
How good is the extension table?
Bets thing I ever bought, oooooo and the clear foot I got recently, makes button hole much easier when you can see what your are sewing..... em