Wednesday, May 19, 2010

A little bit of cheer-me-up...

Sometimes I feel like a treat but can't justify spending loads of money. It's at such times that I do a search on "Sewing" in the Better World Books "Used" section. For about $20 I can look forward to a bundle of reference books to add to the library. They're often around $3-$4USD each.
With sewing books, the information is all useful despite the change in styling through the decades. I've used all three books since they arrived on Monday and I'm sure they'll be pulled out again and again.

I can also smile a warm and fuzzy sort of smile, knowing that I've made the world a better, more literate place with my purchase.


And then..... sometimes when I want a bit of cheer-me-up..... I spend loads of money on a book I've wanted for a REALLY long time.

I love this book. And now I can stroke it's silky-matt cover and drool all over the stunning photographs of divinely draped 1930's garments. Bias cuts and inset panels.... (and is it just me or does it look like that woman is using a mobile phone?)

But this is the best thing... the patterns that explain the HOW of the designs. I'm singing this song today...

The man of the house (a tad concerned about my retail therapy) asked me one day, "But... do THINGS really make you happy?"
...
...
Some days they certainly bring a little sunshine!


11 comments:

Buy Design said...

That is such a MAN question !!!
There is nothing quite like a wee treat to cheer up an ordinary day.
Fiona x

thornberry said...

Oh oh oh oh oh that Vionnet book! Could you please please please bring it along on the weekend? I promise not to drool directly onto it...

Tanya said...

she's just texting her lover!

Tania said...

She is so texting! And what is it about a matt silk varnish on book covers? I hope you've put your order in.

Leslie said...

Thank you for sharing that website that you got your books from! I am a book addict!

A Peppermint Penguin said...

1. I have the same conversation with my mother all the time (I think she is more concerned about where to PUT it all)

2. I tried that books site you mentioned and didn't find one single cool thing. They save them for you!

3. yep, definitely texting

4. ooh, pretty!

Cheers,
AJ

PS beware exploding bookcases.

Jodie said...

Nikki, have just filled the largest shopping cart they have.....in fact I think they have booked me my own private plane to deliver...Awesome concept!

Fer said...

Gorgeous book! It certainly does look like she's on her mobile, but is probably about to "powder her nose"!

Tas said...

Oh, like I need another online place to spend my money!

becanne said...

Thanks for the bookshop link - I've also had a spend :)
What a score with the Vionnet book. I've always wondered how they created some of those amazing bias gowns!

Off The Peg said...

Those books look amazing. Nice shopping