I had an idea that - in lieu of a much-needed holiday - I'd use a different part of my skills base and make a garment pattern for a change. A "quick little dress pattern" sounded like fun - and it has been... to a point.
But then I started writing instructions.... and (you know me...) I couldn't leave the detail out. I had to fill them with tips and notes and ways to do things quickly.
I had to include few variations (and stop myself from adding too many more).
I even wrote tips on pressing.
And of course, every step has needed a diagram and/or a photo to help explain things as clearly as possible. It's taken me MONTHS!!! So much for "quick"....
Anyhoo - I now have a lesson-in-a-packet for people who are just branching out into garment making. I have my usual pattern-testers lined up already, but I need ONE MORE PERSON to fill a gap in the testing process....
If you fill the following criterior:
- Beginner-ish sewing/dressmaking skils.
- Have a small girl (size 2-8) to try the finished dress on.
- In Australia - so the whole thing doesn't get slowed up by the postal service (heaven knows, it's having enough problems at the moment)
- HAVE NOT USED ONE OF MY PATTERNS BEFORE (this is important)
- Will READ instructions and have a good eye for detail (for typos and unclear explanations).
- Have time to sew a little dress (which is actually QUICK when you're not writing instructions for it!!) before mid-January.
- Can give detailed feedback
- Can show me the finished dress (or photos of the finished dress - blog/flickr is fine)
Please email me TODAY at firstname.lastname@example.org.
It's a bit tight.... but I'd like to get the kits out this afternoon. Tomorrow at the latest.
EDITED TO ADD: Wow! Overwhelmed by the response!! Many thanks to the volunteers - I took the first two offers that came in and we now have our testers.