Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Meet my latest love... I mean PRODUCT.

I still love my paper-folder, but I ALSO love inkjet printable fabric - so much so that I'm now stocking it. It's $21.95 per pack of 5 (size A4) sheets and it's LOTS of fun!

You may remember the memory chest I made for my mother. It was done by printing out family photos on inkjet fabric.

For my next project, I photographed some of my 3-year-old's paintings....

...inserted the images into text boxes in a Word document, then played around with resizing them.

Then it was simply a matter of printing the document from the computer as if it were on paper - the fabric has a peel-away backing that keeps it stiff and smooth on its trip through the printer. That's ALL there is to it!! REALLY!

I appliquéd the LION drawing and made a denim pencil case (large style - to hold a ruler, calculator and notebook if necessary).

I made a little needle book.
And I'm VERY HAPPY with this brooch I made. My wee girl is also very proud to see me wear it. (Not sure what this creature is - its name keeps changing, but it always "has a sun on its tummy").

HOW did I make the brooch? I didn't think to prepare a turorial until it was all finished, so here's a brief run-down on the process.

1. I fused the some dense felted wool fabric to Fast2Fuse and satin-stitched around the edges with a dense machine zig-zag stitch. (You could use any old felt or fabric, and you could even hand satin-stitch if you're so inclined).

2.I fused the printed fabric to light interfacing and wadding and zig-zagged it onto the felted wool - using basting spray to hold it together while I stitched.


3. The back was made from felt fused to Vilene S520 (I cut the S520 about 5mm short of the outsde edges of the felt). The brooch finding was theaded through slits in the felt (and is therefore supported by the layer of S520).


4. Another squirt of basting spray and the back was held in place for the final machine zig-zag around the (pre-satin-stitched) edge. I did this from the underside (so that the brooch finding was facing upwards).
5. I pinned it on and wore it for the rest of the day!!

Does this sound like fun to you...?

If you'd like to order some inkjet fabric you can email or call Leah in the office. We already have it in stock and are yet to get it onto the website. It will be there ASAP.
***
Alternatively, if you spend over $50 with us this month you could WIN some! Every purchase over $50 goes into the barrel for a draw at the end of the month. June is INKJET FABRIC month.
***
The May prize of the make-up purse was won by Fiona in Southport, QLD. It's winging its way to her as we speak.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

God Nikki, you are just TOO clever! You produce an extremely talented young'un and then come up with so many great ideas about how to use her drawings in sewn projects. Too talented for words - I love all of it and will have to buy some of that Inkjet fabric! But now I have to head upstairs to make a patternless something...

Sandra @ Pepperberry & Co. said...

Aw, drool! Yet another thing to covet. Sigh. :-)

Anonymous said...

They are great. Nikki, you never cease to amaze me!

Tania said...

OK, you have so sold me - try as I might to resist. Off to do the emaily Leah thing...

Unknown said...

Wow! Haberdashery meets stationery! You can't get much more drool-worthy than that!

willywagtail said...

Eat your heart out Ken Done. Your little one is a good painter.

Anne said...

I love this idea!! They look like little pieces of modern art sewn on as patches! I posted a link on Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/cool-idea-kids-art-on-printable-fabric/2009/06/03/
--Anne

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Your brooch is so sweet!! You have a great little artist there!!I love ink jet fabric. I recently made my 6 yr old nephew some cushions out of his drawings - he was so proud of them.

RachelMM said...

That is so awesome!

Katherine said...

How fun!
Love your ideas, Nikki and that inkjet fabric looks like it could become addictive. ;o)

Your wee girl is a dab hand at painting. Lots of lovely colour in her work. I love the fellow with the sun on his tummy. Too cute.

Pinktulip said...

I have played around with inkjet fabric paper before, but your ideas are fabulous! Must try it. Thanks for sharing!

Melissa Antolovic said...

Is the inkjet fabric washable?, could I use it on a quilt? What wait is it, like a calico weight?

sorry for all the questions!

Fer said...

Woohoo! I'll be emailing you an order very soon!

Di said...

What great ideas! I love it! THe drawings are really cute too!

Gay McDonell said...

Now you won't have to buy any of those "designer" fabrics - you have your own! You'd better stock up on ink cartridges!

CurlyPops said...

They're absolutely gorgeous! I have to definitely try that out now.

Nikki said...

What a fantastic product. I've used the printable iron on tranfers but they don't hold the colour well after a few washes. I'm looking forward to trying this one.

And as usual, your creations are gorgeous.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cath said...

Tricksy lady. I once tried the iron on tranfers and printed a drawing Dusty had done. When I ironed it on to her dress, I did so on a glass table with a wooden surround. As it heated, the glass tried to expand but couldnt and smashed to pieces. The dress still gets worn though....but enough of my life story. The drawings look great - love the needle book.

laura said...

I have the same questions as Melissa (above). I just used iron on transfer paper (on the flap of a Day Bag BTW)and it worked well but it's very stiff. I would like a softer result.

Nikki said...

The fabric is quite soft, Laura - but it warns on the packet not to use it on things that need constant laundering. It's designed to handle the occasional handwash, but wouldn'e work on kids clothes, I wouldn't think. I have mor eto post on the subject of the printable fabric... stay tuned!

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

Love the produce and the goodies you've made. I'll be giving some of that a go at some stage.

Yana said...

Such a great idea!!! Thanks for your lovely blog and patterns. One day I will make the "Beach" bag of yours!! :)

Louise said...

I am such a huge fan of your girl's work!!

Jenny said...

Another winner! Love the paintings and love the idea-just gorgeous