Wednesday, October 3, 2012

A possible takeover

Well, it was just a matter of time, wasn't it...?  I have a new competitor.
The price is competitive (can you beat $1?) and the breadth of the new pattern range is staggering. 
 The instructions may be a little vague, but this new designer can pump out new designs like nothing I've ever seen before.  Prolific isn't the word.
 There's even a fancy, multi-colour logo...
 ...and catchy slogans on the display unit.
 There's even a specially-made apron for the specially-made business cards.
 After a crafty play-date with a little friend established that she now knows everything there is to know about knitting machines, I wouldn't be surprised to see a few knitting-machine patterns a-hatching soon. 

And yes.. apparently there are Cat Designs classes planned....


Thank goodness she hasn't worked out how to make a hat, so I'll still have that gig for a little while longer. 
(I thought I'd throw in this picture to remind myself of the lovely time I had at Addicted to Fabric on the weekend.) 
Today, the little designer went off to GJ's for a bit of professional development (a kid's sewing class).  She made this fabulous owl cushion.
The teacher told me that the little expert was indeed very good at keeping an even(ish) seam allowance and that she likes to go very fast.
 
There's a saying about fruit and trees and falling, isn't there?

20 comments:

Unknown said...

That owl is awesome. The apron, very cute. And useful. Keep your hat patterns close to your chest, you do have a lot of size and design options, but I see your competitor already offers bags and teddy bears ANY SIZE YOU WANT!!!

Margaret said...

I love the teddy, I think that there is opportunity there! Perhaps get Ms Curlypops to do the graphics for you ;)

ellie said...

Totally EXCELLENT!!!
Cat Designs will take off. Maybe you could quick your day job and she'll look after you.

I was saying to a friend the other day (a fellow "maker") about how I love that both my children are totally confident that they ARE artists (not will be, are already). I think it's wonderful to see kids this young being strong and supported in their learning and love. I hope we're all breeding a generation of self-employed creative beings (and here's hoping they all have an easier time making that $1 they ask).

meri said...

Just so cool indeed! :)
She's a professional! You must be very proud, Nikki.

(they grow too fast... don't they?)

Tania said...

Couldn't have done a better logo if I'd (really, really) tried!

Pomegranate Quilts said...

This might be my favourite post, ever. The teddy bear pattern with "2 copies" written on it completely slays me. YOU SEW GIRL!

A Peppermint Penguin said...

You're doomed. Clearly.

I am amazed that she agreed to go to a kids sewing class, never mind follow it to produce the intended article! Thought for sure there'd been a takeover there too.

I think it's great she wants to be just like you, means she values what you do and thinks it's cool!

Which it is, obviously.

Annie said...

You sure have your work cut out there nic . . . You Go Little Girl

Jennie said...

Ahh, so 'stick' means 'sew'. That's where I've been going wrong all these years. Your little designer's display booth is right, it is a Big Challenge.

Katy Cameron said...

Well obviously the end is nigh for you, especially as the competition lets you copy the patterns ;o)

Chiara Z said...

Love, love, love it! Maybe she'd give you a job when you get back from a holiday in the sunshine :D

Jan said...

Look out, Nikki - that child could take over the world! And when she does, maybe she'll hire you as her assistant. She's obviously been very responsive to everything you taught her - well done to both of you.

Breakfast Jo said...

Ha ha...you have created your greatest pattern!! the Girleen!! Well done. Those instructions you've been writing all these years are in her DNA.

Elizabeth said...

We taught a kids sewing class. One would think the boys would love to go fast, noooo, it was the girls. Most of them...

seabreezequilts said...

Think you had better watch your back lol. At least she wasn't the complete opposite and didn't want anything to do with

Fer said...

I love your girl, she's absolutely priceless. :-)

Tracy VT said...

You've got to admire the entrepeneur!
What a terrific example of growing up in a creative environment!

Tracy VT said...

You've got to admire the entrepeneur!
What a terrific example of growing up in a creative environment!

Unknown said...

Threatening indeed if that owl is anything to go by .

Lisa H said...

I am so impressed. Pass on my congrats to the Director/Designer of Cat Designs - she will go places.
I am jealous however, as my second child believes that he does not need to learn how to sew (and happily failed the subject) as it is, I quote, 'stupid and a waste of time'.
Best time-waster his sewing loving mother knows.