Monday, August 6, 2012

A knitty sort of Sunday

On Sunday, I had a mostly-kid-free day.  My initial thoughts were that there was a lot that I could do to make the most of the time without distraction.  

Instead of doing any sort of catch-up on things, I made a conscious decision to ignore the impulse to do anything that I felt that I should.... and do exactly what I needed to do. 

RELAX... (knit)

 I caught up with lovely friends for coffee and cake and then spent the afternoon with my knitting machine and an audio-book. 

Heaven. 

I could feel my tired, over-stuffed brain defragging.

There was even time to linger in another little slice of (textile) heaven....
 I'm a bit besotted with my new book.  Teresa Dair's design aesthetic is so completely up my alley, I sighed and pored over every one of this book's silky, matt pages.
Yes... I can totally see me swanning about in all of it, too.... feeling fabulous and textural and ever-so-clever because I made it myself...
 Of course, I haven't made any of it yet....
...but that's hardly the point of a gorgeous and inspiring book, is it...?
And until I can justify any more yarn purchases, I won't have any of the amazing Dairing yarn to create the textures needed for the full effect.  In the meantime, I have pure wool.  LOTS of pure wool.

 I took inspiration and went a bit freestyle with this idea....
As I wait for it to dry, instead of blocking it smoothly, I'm stretching and distressing the edges... messing things up a bit.  There is no steel in the yarn to hold the memory of this torture, but it's creating a lovely drapey shape with tendrilly corner bits.
You'll no doubt be treated to much swanning and poncing when I finally get my body into this one. 

I'm looking forward to seeing Teresa ... and her yarn... (WHO SAID THAT?) at Grampians Texture next year.  She'll be teaching workshops there too.

In the meantime, if you don't hear from me, I'll be knitting furiously, to make room in that yarn stash of mine....

10 comments:

knitmachinequeen (KMQ) said...

I have got to have this book! TFS

Crayon Chick said...

So I've got my machine all shiny and ready (except for some troublesome brushes in the carriage) and I don't know where to go from here! Your new jumper looks fabulous and I love the 'freestyling' approach! Maybe I've been 'thinking' it too much! Such inspiration.

A Peppermint Penguin said...

we really are not the least bit alike, are we.

except for a love of a perfect corner on a bag!

Annie said...

So glad you decided to do what you really needed, there's something to be said for that. I spent ALL Saturday arvo pottering in my garden and felt wonderful for it! You SEW girl! Love ya work!

Katy Cameron said...

Sounds like a fab day, and loving the results of your efforts

Kate said...

That book looks wonderful and so does your latest creation!

velosews said...

Wow. That's lovely.

Tas said...

Want to see poncing photos.

Don't worry about making more room in your stash. Just make your stash bigger. It works for me. Not so much Mr Boozle admittedly.

Taccolina said...

It was great to see you, too! I'm so glad you got some de-fragging yarn-dreaming time. Show us those ponce photos of the new jumper!

Fer said...

Awesome. :-)