Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Zipping along....

...on the sewing machine, at least.  In real life, it's all butter-menthols and early nights (and a few hot whiskeys).
 While I'm not quite running on all eight cylinders, I'm using my limited energy to sew up samples, using the zipper samples I've made for ZIPPERS FOR BAGS workshops.  Next task is to cut and make up a new batch of zipper samples for classes.
I'm adding zips to bags where zips were not originally in the pattern, just to show you what's possible when you know a few zippy tricks.  The pocket configuration in this Laptop Bag is nothing like the original design, but could serve a different range of pockety needs.  (Yes - I just made up another word.)
I used Amy Butler's "Lark" for this bag, interfaced with a combination of Vilene S320 and H640 fusible wadding.  I find that for large areas of fabric, the low melting-point adhesive on Vilene S320's makes it a breeze to apply.  The addition of H640 wadding gives the bag a springy, self-supporting structure that is easy to manipulate around the sewing machine.  You can see that I've waxed lyrical about this before..
I've used the same combination of interfacings on my project for Australian Homespun's project of the month, which should be out very soon ( I thought it was the May edition...?EDITED TO ADD - it's the JUNE edition).  Again, the fabric is Amy Butler's "Lark" range.

You can see how smooth the surface of the fabric is, and how self-supporting this bag is.  That'd be the interfacing combo....

Right now, I'm sipping hot lemon, honey and ginger at home, but I'm planning more zippered bag variations as we speak.

Oh, and since my August Zipper Workshop has booked out, I've schedued another date for a class in my studio - November 17th.  Needless to say, places book up quickly, so get in while you can!

LATE-BREAKING NEWS -
 Pattern Review have posted reviews and a giveaway of my book - HERE.  This might be a good opportunity for those of you in the USA to get your hands on it!

8 comments:

Annie said...

You are such a pro...stuff looks great!

trash said...

*Sigh* Simply gorgeous. Hope you are feeling better soon.

A Peppermint Penguin said...

yeah, and that's what you make when you are NOT feeling well. I hate you.

squee! I just found a copy of your book for £25. it's MINE.

seabreezequilts said...

Love that Blue Amy Butler fabric, wonder if I picked up some when it was still available, might have to search the net because I am sure I need it now. Just saw your cure all, don't have any irish whisky but I sure need it, have a a shocking lurgy and I need help to sleep.

Katy Cameron said...

Lovely makes all round there, hope you're feeling much better soon, there's only so much lemon and honey a body can take!

Anonymous said...

Love your work. Pitty I am so far away.......I have learnt so many different things from you. Hope you get well soon..

Lisa H said...

I have been watching out for the pattern in Australian Homespun and was disappointed it wasn't in the May issue - hoping it is in the next one when it arrives as I can't wait to tackle it.

Also, great review of your book; I hope you sell lots of copies. I have it on my Christmas list. I know a little early for a list, but the hubby needs lots of time to adjust to the idea that once again I want a present he needs to actually purchase (he really dislikes shopping).

seabreezequilts said...

Hey nikki what is the fabric used in the lining I have looked and it only comes in green and it looks blue in the picture is it the green Amy butler?