Monday, May 16, 2011

Design Challenge #8793

The wee girl had a little friend over to play on the weekend, so we decided to make a cake.

"I know!" she beamed (and I started preparing for a curve-ball..), "We could make a Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang cake!"..... Ummm...... flying completely by the seat of my pants, with the dvd cover picture as a vague reference, I shaped a loaf-shaped cake and iced it in blue and red.

We melted easter eggs (and we STILL have more of them!) and set the chocolate in a silicone mini-cupcake tray to make the wheels. We even made the spare wheel.

I strongly suggested which sweets should go where to make the cake look suitably vintage-car-like and the girls took turns in sticking them on.


They loved making the sparkly silver sheen with the little silver balls (in case you're wondering what they're about).


I loved watching the girls working on this together. Taking turns and taking care. Thinking it through. Co-operating. Each wanting to do the right thing by the other....


All those things that I love about the way that communities of women work together were right there, in the embryonic stages of social skills.... and it seemed so natural. Beautiful!

13 comments:

A Peppermint Penguin said...

no wonder she thinks anything is possible. Anyone else would have said how about cupcakes.

Except HoppoBumpo probably!

Cheers,
AJ

Tania said...

My God, woman! You have all those ingredients and decoratives on call? I wouldn't have even suggested cupcakes. More like pikelets around here...

Nikki said...

Forgot to mention the mad, wild-eyed dash to the supermarket before the guest arrived... looking for anything made of sugar that could be used to construct a flying, amphibious vintage car.

Fiona said...

So sweet that she has boundless faith that you can conjure up these creations! I can't wait to see what impossible feat she has lined up for you next, Nikki!!

I'm with Tania and Peppermint Penguin ... I'd have suggested something much, much easier - eating the sweets maybe?

CurlyPops said...

Awww it looks just like the real thing! I'm gonna have that song in my head all day long now.

Jenny from Ohjoh said...

WOW!! Incredible!!

Tas said...

I was tossing around the idea of letting my boys help me decorate the birthday girl's simple icecream hedgehog cake this avo or whether I should do it before they got home from school. I hang my head in shame. We will do it together. Thanks for the kick up the butt and the reminder to not just say do the easiest thing every time.
Love the cake. The girls did a great job.

Fer said...

Aw bless 'em!

Gay McDonell said...

Gorgeous - I loved Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - we had the book, saw the movie, had the board game and probably the Lp as well!

Adele - A Lass from Downunder said...

Oh so cute! A great team effort :-)

seabreezequilts said...

Maybe you can get them to do the cake for the little ones next birthday. My design challenge this weekend was a cushion with a bow on the front. Using my bernina because her sewing machine has died bit nerve wracking

Bron said...

What a fab looking cake...and how cool to come up with that idea.

Katherine said...

Love the no-limits on your wee girl's imagination and I applaud you all that you do to nurture her creativity, Nikki.

Reminds me of some the creative plots I got into when my sons were young. I think of the crazy cake ideas they had... such as the crocodile cake (they loved Steve Irwin so crocs became very popular in our household) and then there was the badger cake (as they loved the Redwall series). Oh, my! The things we get into as moms. lol I wouldn't have it any other way, though. Enjoy making some great memories with your little Miss.