Sunday, February 13, 2011

Upstaged by an octopus and bewitched by a teapot....

We were invited to a lovely girls' 5th birthday party today. Inspired by Ms Curlypops' handmade present, I decided to make a hat as a gift. While I worked on the hat, the wee one designed a toy octopus for the birthday girl. In between hat seams, I helped the designer to transform the fabric-crayon-on-calico kit-form cephalopod into something more cushion-like. She chose scrap fabrics to back the body and each of the eight legs. She even coloured in a long strip of calico to make a shoulder strap.
I sewed, she stuffed.... and I was so blown away by the result, I forgot to photograph the hat I made.
The wrapping paper for the birthday present was equally handmade-with-love. It included a drawing of the birthday girl with a party blower and... knuckles.
(The wee girl is playing around with perspective drawing, methinks....)

The card contained the obligatory cat drawing.
So how do you impress a girl who thinks she can make anything? You make "The most beautiful cake in the world". The wee girl was mesmerised!
The teapot cake was a triumph, Cathie! I think everyone was SERIOUSLY IMPRESSED!!! (It was also delicious).
Believe me, by comparison, the hat really wasn't worth a photo.

16 comments:

Tanya said...

Amazing teapot cake, so beautiful. I bet the hat was very impressive too, actually x
I love your girls vision!

Gay McDonell said...

I'm sure it was a delightfully received hat! Magnificent cushion and awesome teapot - and way too many children!!!!!!

Tas said...

Wow. If I ever had a cephalopod cushion, that one would do me just fine! And what a v. cool cake! I'd say gorgeous hat too...but...you know...I am a visual person.

CurlyPops said...

I'm fascinated by the cherries, strawberries and balckberries on that cake drawing.... but the octopus is the cutest thing ever!

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

That is one super fabulous present! And I just love the cake!

Annie said...

What a great mum you are! And that's a LOT of kids at a party arghhhhh

Leonie said...

That's the best looking octapus bag I've ever seen! And the drawing skills take another leap forward since last Sunday. That's some pretty impressive foreshortening! Love the teapot cake too.

Unknown said...

The genes were passed on to your wee one. How blessed you are!

A Peppermint Penguin said...

I think you might have to get used to being upstaged.

PortableOctopus, genius.

Yes, that does look like waaaay too many children for sanity.

Cheers,
AJ

Fer said...

Wow.... this girlie is so impressive! Methinks her favourite subject at school will be art?!!

I'm blown away too, and a teapot birthday cake - love it!! I'd also love to know how she did the handle and spout. ♥

Anonymous said...

The teapot has it!!

seabreezequilts said...

I am sure the hat was fantastic. Fabulous Octopus, I think I will keep my daughter away from your blog big time. The cake was amazing too.

Vegan said...

That octopus is beautiful! What a clever and thoughtful birthday gift!

I'm sure your hat was gorgeous, too!

Anna Bartlett said...

What a fantastic octopus and drawing! Can't wait to make things like this with my daughter too. You're seriously making my head spin with the possibilities.

Cathie said...

i had to take the lovely drawing & stick it on my noteboard, it is absolutely amazing!
Amelie slept with her wonderful cushion last night and I can't stop telling everyone how amazingly talented wee girl is.

thanks for being a part of AMelie's birthday ♥

p.s no sign of the battery, sorry

MiM said...

lucky birthday lass ! the octo is lovely!