Monday, February 22, 2010

Shirts, Skirts and Makers

Yesterday's trip to the Shirt and Skirt market was one of those outings that made me feel glad to live in this city and amongst so many talented and and wonderful people.
On my way in to meet Jacinta (mid-text-message, in fact), I bumped smack-bang into the dearest of Fii's... Fi and her gorgeous family were off to the Collingwood Childrens Farm next door. Great to chat.

Walking into the market, my eyes were immediately drawn to a rack of beautifully detailed skirts. Before I looked at the label, I thought, "These have to be Karen's". Karen is one of the owners of The Cat's Meow in the city and designs the Berserk clothing label. I love her work!

The Makers Market happened to be on in a room inside the Abbotsford Convent - right next door to the new art gallery. You can see the Maker's Market market dates here.

These sassy fabric gals - made by Jan Bell - are just amazing. Hopefully Jan will have a blog soon (wink to Jan) to share more of her work. Her sculpture is full of humour, attitude and clever craftsmanship. Jan also knitted Humpty-Dumpties just like the one I had when I was a kid.... just like the Humpties many of us would have had. Ah, nostalgia!


Elise Hurst was also there. I was too busy gushing over her illustrations to ask for permission to use any of them here. Do follow this link - her work is beautiful. She also writes and illustrates children's books.

I was also really taken with the ceramics of Shoko Mafune. Again - I forgot to ask if I could photograph or use any of her web images, but do take a good look through her website.

I didn't get to see the all of the Shirt and Skirt market - or indeed all of the Makers Market - I had to run off to do some family stuff. And I didn't get near the Antiques and Collectables market or any of the other cultural or culinary offerings (and there are many) in the Abbotsford Convent. The place was hoppin'.

Thank you to Jacinta for dragging me out and making me see the sunny side of life. And thank you to all the lovely people I've taught in the past, who stopped to say hello. It really made my day.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Shirt and Skirt market has a great vibe. I know what you mean by feeling lucky to be amongst so many talented designers. I feel the same way!

Ruth Quibell said...

I'll second that! I happened upon the Shirt and Skirt market last year, and left feeling really excited about all the great things I'd seen. Here was a real market.

Andi said...

Looks like an awesome market.
I must try and get there one of these days!!

Gail said...

absolutely adored Jan Bell's sassy dolls.

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

I think you'd also enjoy checking out the handmade style of Canberra too. Great finds, what a lovely day. Love Posie

Jacinta said...

It was a great day and I think Nikki, we may even have recruited some more bloggers! Such creativity.
So lovely to spend some time with you and hope the rest of the afternoon went well.
Talk soon, Cinta.

Barbara said...

Sounds like a great event! Too bad I live on the other side of the world...
P.S.
Though long time overdue - Thanks, Nikki for visiting my blog!

meli B said...

Hi Nikki, I took up your advice and started a blog.I met you at the Makers Market last Sunday. I am the soft toy lady. My blog is called:
melibismakingthings.blogspot.com
I just don't know how to get anyone to look at it! Anyway thanks for all the encouragement, Melissa