Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Girl's Day Out

A gang on a rampage.... Two rag trade buddies, my small assistant and me.







First stop -Tessuti.  Lovely linens and a bit of georgette.  Plans for the perfect panel skirt and linen trousers, little georgette tops.... swapping design ideas.





Lunch and Dancing Queen in Richmond followed.





What a treasure trove it is - and treasures were indeed found.  Matching felted wool and wool gauze in exactly the shade of charcoal I'd envisioned for another project.  Spangly stuff to mix (and dull down) with the georgette I'd bought earlier.  Lovely cotton-lycra. 





Artextil, GJ's and Rathdowne Remnants were all closed when we came knocking (weird xmas-closing time of year that it is).  There were also dreams of Darn Cheap Fabrics that were never realised before time, money and people were exhausted.  I somehow made it to Clegs in Lygon St before they closed (although I'd lost my posse by then) and bought some really nice indigo denim. 


We are truly blessed with fabulous fabric shops in this city - we were only shopping in our local area.  There are so many other great stores dotted around Melbourne!  


I'm also blessed with lovely friends (and a remarkably well-behaved daughter) who made it a grand day altogether.


I finished the day with a swim.  50 metres of clear blue water under a cloudless sky in the last gentle hours of a perfectly sunny day.  It felt like home.


I hope that you're enjoying your holidays....

17 comments:

Kirrily said...

Oh I'm jealous! Sounds like you are definitely enjoying your very well deserved break!

trash said...

Clegs on Lygon Street??? How did I miss that last year?!?!

méri said...

Nikki??? Are you testing my eyes??!! :)

I'm jealous too! The stores are great but that swim...
Enjoy your break, my friend!

62cherry said...

perfect!
swimming is so good for the soul xx

thornberry said...

Now that sounds like a perfect day. I am in "need" of some denim at the moment - a trip to Clegs on my way home from work today, methinks? Great to hear that you had such a lovely time. And yes, we are blessed with fabric shops! You have mentioned a few I haven't been to - yet!

Allison said...

Well that's funny. Sue and I wanted to partake in a little GJ's joy yesterday but I had a gut feeling and tried phoning them. After persistent calling and no one answering - we had to be happy with Spotlight at DFO.

Glad you had a good haul, er.. I mean, DAY! :)

CurlyPops said...

Now that sounds like the perfect day out!

Cathie said...

are you trying to make all those crafty ladies out there drool with your shopping trip treasures :)

hope you & your family have the very best new year Nikki.

Jennie said...

I was thinking of doing a drive-by of GJs and Rathdowne today, with no idea if they're open or not.

Ironically what I'm shopping for is a bit of Fast2Fuse for my Nicole M bag, seeing as her shop is closed for a few more weeks...

Gay McDonell said...

eek - so unfair - so cruel - so heartless - sew wish I was there!

Fru Blom said...

It sounds like a wonderful day. I would love it. I'm so jealous.

There are only 2 fabric shops in my (large) city, so I'm there a lot!

Christy said...

i am a little jealous of all your fabric stores... but I will say that finding that perfect shade of gray or coral is unbelievably satisfying. WHY is gray fabric so hard to find? Seriously underappreciated color in my book. =)

Anna said...

Tessuti is a great fabric store. I am going to Sydney next week and plan to ditch the husband and teenage daughters to spend an hour or two in their Surry Hills shop. A couple more great shops in Melbourne are Frou Frou in Glen Waverley and The Cloth Shop in Ivanhoe.

Margaret said...

I am too afraid to hit the fabric stores! I hit the online ones and that was expensive enough.

Looking forward to seeing the finished skirt you mentioned, I have to make some for work and I just keep on putting it off.

Jacinta said...

I bought the most amazing crazy fabric at Dancing Queen a few years back - white with orange and hot pink swirls. Perfect for the 60's party I was sewing for... lots of fun.
Must take a bit of a road trip and check out a couple you have listed... or I could do some sewing and actually USE some of the fabric I already have!
Hope you are well Nikki. I have been thinking of you and intending to email. Thanks for dropping by my blog and staying in touch. I will definitely drop in in the new year and say hi. Cheers to you for 2010. xx

Elizabeth said...

What a fantastic day you hasd - and thanks for the guide to all the best places for fabric in Melbroune! I've always been too scraed to enter Tessuti but I might do so now. There could be a bit of a problem sneaking any more fabric into the house past the CFO (husband) given it always ends up in my hopes-and-dreams-never-gets-used stash box...

Liesl said...

Ah, that sounds like my idea of heaven. Should be more of it.

Happy new year to you and your lovely family Nikki!