Saturday, February 21, 2009

Adding a little ZIP!

I've been sprucing things up a bit. Overhauling, upgrading, updating.... making LOTS of zip purses!
Lots of purse combinations and composition changes were photographed before this one won as the new cover of the Coin Purse Kit. Nice and bright - covering a few different tastes in fabric design (and strangely enough, matching half my daughter's wardrobe...!).


We get a few enquiries about WHAT'S in the kit, and what the difference is between the Coin Purse Kit and the Make-Up Purse kit (so this blog post is for posterity - it will be referred to in future with an easy link rather than a long email!).

There are four shapes and sizes of purse (12cm and 10cm boxed corner purses and 12cm and 10cm squared). The kit contains the instructions for putting a zip in a LINED purse with NEAT corners (not bunched-up-end-of-zip-in-seam corners). There are also 2 x black and 2 x white zips in each size. (If you need more zips, guess what? WE STOCK THEM!).

The Make-Up purse kit is ONE size (15cm) and comes with four 15cm metal zips (2 x black and 2 x white). We stock these zips as well. :)

Are you scared of zips? I'm surprised how many people are. So I'm going to be running a workshop at the Stitches and Craft Show to show zip-shy people that zips are (relatively) harmless haberdashery... nothing to be scared of.
I'll be teaching a super-easy way to make lined zip purses in all sorts of sizes - from coin purse to luggage pouch. See that lovley colourful pile above..? All done with this same easy method! (You may remember these xmas gifts? Same method!).
Just a visual reminder of where you can see me.... I'll be in the indie crafter section. The rest of the show will be fab too - the all new Living Creatively revamp will be worth seeing! But please come and say hello to me!

...

PS. Thanks so much to all who have sent in more donations and bags for the Rainbow Comfort Packs. To follow updates keep your eye on Handmade Help blog. I'm posting there - along with a few others - and you can keep up to date on news of what's happening on that whole front. There are lots of ways that we can help - no matter how near of far you are from Victoria. Eg. Check out Trash's raffle.... you may have a few hours to enter before she draws it.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

So - if I wanted to do the flat ones with the zips on the front like the bottom image in this post - which pattern kit has these details?

Allison

CurlyPops said...

I think I need to attend one of those workshops. My zipper skills are woeful!

Gay McDonell said...

What a truly lovely array of purses!

bec said...

I'm not zipper-phobic, but I usually can't be bothered. Love all the colours, I now have a few yo-yo's in those prints haha.

And how hard is it to make yourself something these days! Just finishing off a library bag for a friends little girl, my Mod is cut out and have managed to start the belt loops! At this rate...

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

I wish I could sign up for a zipper workshop. I might have to get someone to look after Tinniegirl while I do.

Christine McDonald said...

They're gorgeous! I love them all!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I was frantically trying to find the perfect zippered pouch tutorial this afternoon when your post popped up in my RSS reader! Do you perhaps have a PDF version of your pattern available? I'm all the way in the US and I'd love to buy your kit but what I *really* need are the instructions to avoid those bunched up seams!!!

Thanks!
Erin

Katherine said...

I love these! They're sweet and would be ever so handy to use. You've really been "zipping" along with lots of sewing, Nikki. ;o)

mayaluna said...

Just what I've been wanting! Zipper courage... sounds like your doling it out... hopefully all the way to the US. I need to order those kits right away! Oh how happy I would be if I lived closer to you... and not just for zipper confidence:)