Monday, January 5, 2009

Not quite turkey sandwiches...

... but another handy and delicious way to use up Christmas leftovers.

Christmas Pudding Chocolates

1. Crumble up leftover xmas pud in a bowl, and douse it with a goodly amount of brandy. The mixture should be thoroughly moistened but not soggy. (I recently discovered that muscat works a treat, too. Intensifies the raisin flavour of the pudding...mmmm!!).

2. Let the mixture sit until the moisture is fully absorbed into the pudding crumbs (overnight usually works for me).

3. Take teaspoons of mixture and form them into small balls.


4. Put them on a plate in the freezer for a few hours (I usually do this bit in the morning and come back to them in the evening).

5. Melt dark chocolate in a bowl over hot water (in a saucepan over low heat).

6. One by one, drop the little balls in the chocolate, roll them around and fish them out with a fork.

7. Set the little balls on a sheet of foil or baking paper.

8. Allow the innards to thaw and .... mmmmmmm

9. Eat them up ....savouring the last flavours of Christmas and looking forward to the year ahead.

My mother gave me this recipe over the phone when I was living overseas about ten years ago. This is the first time I've written it down - it's always been so easy to remember the process, and it reminds me of her whenever I make these treats. She was a fabulous cook, and we shared lots of recipes over long distance phone calls.
...
PS. I've just realised that all three recipes that I've shared involve alcohol!!?? Believe me, I eat real food too!

8 comments:

méri said...

What a clever idea! It looks soooooo good, Nikki!
Wishing you and your little one a wonderful 2009!

Anonymous said...

I just happen to have some leftover pud...

Liesl said...

Ooooh ... so much better than turkey or ham sandwiches! These sound fabulous (especially the bit about the muscat ... yum). I might have to go and defrost the remainder of the pud.

CurlyPops said...

All good recipes contain a bit of alcohol! These sound extremly yummy.

Jenny said...

A great idea of your mum's-yummy treat!

Fer said...

YUM!!!

Kirrily said...

I really must stop reading this blog! There's always something here taunting me... Fabric, food, shiny silver things... I try to remind myself that both the alcohol and the pudding would most likely make me so itchy I'd scratch my skin off, but do you think that stops me from wanting these??

laura said...

Alcohol and chocolate, my two favorite food groups! I really didn't need to read this recipe. Thanks a lot!