Friday, October 17, 2008

Relics from the past

When I lived in Co Clare in Ireland, I was fascinated by an ancient brooch that was simply PICKED UP off the floor of a souterrain (a kind of cellar) during an excavation of a nearby ring-fort. Imagine! As if it were dropped yesterday instead of a thousand years ago!

I was ALMOST as fascinated when I found this on the floor in my house yesterday....
I remember sitting in my mothers bed on my fifth birthday, with my mother showing me how to backstitch. I couldn't quite get it (not surprising, really... I was only five!), and ended up doing two sets of running stitch to fill in the line.

A LOT of time has passed since I was 5, and I've moved house more times than I can count. (This includes four international moves, which required SERIOUS purges of old belongings). I haven't seen this card since I was a child.... and there it was in my hallway!

Methinks it was a passenger in a box of dolls my mother sent home with me recently. Someone must have been foraging through the cupboard (looking for new toys?)..... and HISTORY escaped!

Who'd a thunk it...?

7 comments:

CurlyPops said...

What a treasure to find after all these years....maybe you could frame it and keep it on the wall in your studio for inspiration.

Janellybelly said...

This is how it all began! Look how far you've come :)
Janelle xx

méri said...

What a treasure, indeed!

(my google reader point out your last post "Welcome to FeedBurner" and since then I can´t acess your blog - I'm here through Mr Google, who finds everybody! :))- I'm a little primitive with all these tools...

Liesl said...

I'm with Curlypops. Definitely a treasure to frame!

Anonymous said...

That is such a great find! By the way, bloglines still hasn't picked up your last few posts (since before last Thursday) - I came straight to you because I KNEW you'd have posted by now! It might explain your slight dearth of comments.

Marina said...

Lovely post Nikki. Have been trying to do some stitching cards with my 4 year old. She hasn't quite got the hang of it yet, but we're hanging in there!

One Second Needle said...

Thanks for the post allowing us to reminisce with you. I think your pear represents a pretty good start!